Breast Prosthesis – Breast Prosthesis and Mastectomy Bras
South Africa is ranked 50th on the World Cancer Research Fund’s list of countries with the highest cancer prevalence rates. Amongst women, the most prevalent is breast cancer followed by cervical, uterus, colorectal and oesophageal cancer. When diagnosed with breast cancer it has an immense impact and effect on a woman’s life and those who are close to her. Each woman has to deal with it individually but it’s important to have a strong support group including family and health care providers.
In order to restore confidence and improve self image, it’s important to wear the correct fitted bra and breast form. At Medsport/JCA we offer a variety of breast forms to suite individual patient needs; including shape, texture and colour. We have a qualified female orthotist, trained in measuring and fitting the prosthesis for the perfect fit. Prosthetic bra’s are also available in different styles and colours to choose from. The products are made with durable, light-weight materials and all the prostheses come with a 2-year warrantee.
Please note that this warranty does not cover products that have been incorrectly stored or exposed to damaging external influences, e.g., sharp objects, pet’s claws, etc., or extend to adhesive pads or strips*
For woman, choosing a breast prosthesis is a personal decision. Breast prosthesis will maintain the body’s natural posture and appearance. Other reasons for using a breast prosthesis include;
- Makes the breast look symmetrical in shape and avoids obvious differences in breast size.
- Better fitting of clothing.
- It protects the chest and surgical scar.
- Breast prosthesis prevent spinal curvatures by balancing your posture
- Helps prevent the effects such as shoulder drop, muscle spasm in the neck and back
- Keeps your bra from riding up or moving to the side.
- Improves self image and confidence.
At JCA we offer a specialised service. We have a qualified, female orthotist who has been trained in Silima Breast Prosthetics, how to measure and fit the correct form and bra for your specific needs. We provide private consultations with a variety of breast forms and mastectomy bra’s to choose from. By making use of the Silima app we are able to determine the correct size and provide you with the perfect fit. Consultations take an hour and you are advised to wear a bra or a form fitting top/vest. Please note lead/order times may take up to 3 weeks.
The SILIMA brand breast forms are tested quality made in Germany and stands for a feeling of well-being. All SILIMA breast forms are skin friendly and gentle. The polyurethane film is elastic, resistant to chlorine and slat water and heat conducting, which allows the breast form to adopt body temperature when worn.
We provide the following standard breast forms:
- Silima Soft and Light symmetrical
- Slima soft and light heart shaped
- Slima Ultra light Symmetrical (post-operative up to 30% or 60% lighter than conventional types)
- Silima Fiberfill Breast forms (post- operative)
- Silima Triform Light Symmetrical
- Silima Conform
- Silima Shell
The Silima breast forms range in size from AA to E.
The lingerie we offer provide all the advantages of a special purpose bra. The materials are skin friendly with stylish colour schemes and designs. The extensive range offers just the right choice for your individual needs, from elegant lace to french flair in a soft- peach tulle, to optimal elasticity for maximum support and comfort.
We provide the following standard Bra’s:
- Victoria Bra
- Lola Bra
- Lucy Bra
- Diana Bra
- Julie Bra
For more details on breast forms and mastectomy bra’s contact our office @ 021 426 23 78 to book an appointment with our female orthotist.
- Wash with mild soap and rinse in warm water
- Do not use solvents under any circumstances
- Dab gently with a soft towel to dry
- Do not place the form on a radiator, nor use a hairdryer
- Use the original box to store or use the breast form
- Keep sharp or pointed objects, such as brooches, away from the breast form
- Be careful with pet claws- they might damage the gossamer- thin PU film
- Observe the care information included with each breast form.
- Wash Lingerie by hand, cold wash with a Ph balanced detergent, place in the shade to dry.
Lymphedema is a chronic disease that goes hand in hand with post- mastectomy patients. Even if the oedema is not present visually, studies indicate that oedema is present at a cellular level within the relevant tissues. These tissues are therefore more likely to suffer from secondary oedema when special care is not taken.
Lymphedema can either be primary (congenital) or secondary which occurs due to a malfunction of the lymphatic system. Secondary oedema is the result of damage to the lymphatic system, as a result of surgery or lymph node dissection. It is very important to manage lymphedema from as early as possible. If you suspect that you may have oedema it’s best to see a lymphedema sister or specialist for treatment.
At Medsport/Jayson Chin and Associates we can provide you with the compression garments for the maintenance phase of Lymphedema. The garments can either be bought off the shelf for standard measurements, or they can be made-to-measure.
The garments simultaneously provide the following:
- Effective compression; aimed at guaranteeing maintenance of the reduction in volume achieved during the initial phase.
- A retaining action guaranteeing that the oedema cannot regain more than a certain percentage of volume, irrespective of its intrinsic expansion force.
Please note all compression garments are available in a beige colour and the composition consist of polyamide microfibre elastane. There are 3 classes of compression of which only class 1 can be fitted without a doctor’s script.
The classes consists of:
- Class 1: 15-20mmHg
- Class 2: 20-36mmHg (need doctor’s script)
- Class 3: Greater than 36mmHg. (need doctor’s script)
- Sleeves (with or without mitten)
- Stockings (closed toe)
- tights with support briefs
- socks (open toe/closed toe)
- half tights (Thigh high) with support briefs
- Hand wash, cold wash.
- No fabric softeners
- Use a pH balanced detergent
- DO NOT hang up
- Place flat in the shade, on a towel to dry.